BPsych (hons), MAPS, MAICD.
Vivian is the Director of Vision Psychology and has worked for over a decade in the area of mental health. She is passionate about providing high quality psychology services to Australians from all walks of life.
Vivian has worked in many areas including construction management and commerce before completing her Bachelor of Psychology with Honours in 2005. Vivian has provided consultant services to large organisations such as Beyondblue and the Mental Health Council of Australia, before moving into private practice in Brisbane as Principal Psychologist of Vision Psychology in 2008.
Vivian was employed with Queensland Health during 2006 -2008 in The Park Centre for Mental Health, while working as a senior research assistant at Griffith University for Prof Kim Halford and Dr Jemima Petch on the Couplecare for Parents NHMRC project in Griffith University (Psychology).
During 2008-2011 Vivian was appointed as the project manager for a National Health Medical Research Centre trial that has led to working extensively with women in pregnancy, labour and birth. This has involved the training of midwives in counselling to treat postnatal depression. Vivian presented at an international conference in South Africa in 2011 on her supervisory work with training midwives in counselling for birth trauma.
To complement her supervisory roles, she completed the accredited supervisors course in Qld (STAP) in 2010 and provides supervision to psychotherapists from all health professions with a focus on interpersonal, narrative and trauma therapies. Vivian has commenced in a new role (2012) as an adjunct research fellow and associate investigator of an NHMRC project examining antenatal birth fear with her colleagues Fenwick et al. at Griffith University.
While working at Griffith University Vivian has developed a small part-time private practice into Brisbane’s largest 7 day a week Psychology and Counselling Centre, with over 30 therapists, students and administration staff working around the clock between 8am to 8pm. This expansion into the role of Director of Vision Psychology has been in part due to the integration of construction-project management and entrepreneurial skills from Vivian’s past work roles.
Vivian’s interest in mental health has involved her participation on many national committees, publication of several articles in international journals, presentations at psychiatry and mental health conferences and facilitation of training within psychiatry in Queensland. She welcomes public speaking opportunities for promoting emotional well-being and mental health recovery.
Vivian is keen to help those in business who are struggling and in need of motivational change and wanting to develop lateral thinking in the context of our current economic climate. Working hard is not enough! Working with your strengths while identifying your limitations can change the direction of your life and opportunities that lay ahead.
Vivian has an interest in counselling adults (both men and women) for:
- Business Coaching: Business owners wanting to strategically expand during the GFC may want to book an appointment to consolidate marketing and business knowledge, while managing to maintain work / family balance.
- Physical and Sexual Trauma: Enhancing self-care and resilience, discussing the events that caused distress and emotional processing of negative emotions from the events.
- Medical/Operative trauma: Exploration of emotional care during medical or operative procedures that were invasive and life threatening.
- Major Depression: Interpersonal or cognitive strategies to overcome negative emotions and relationship issues causing depression.
- Pregnancy Counselling: Under Medicare, women will have an additional 3 sessions (30mins) bulk billed with an appropriate referral. These sessions include discussion of transition to parenthood; medical interventions during pre and postnatal care; models of birthing support and decisions regarding the pregnancy.
- Parenting Support: Parents need extra support for stressful times when relationships are strained, children are challenging, or simply facing the transition to the new parenting role.
- Postnatal Depression: Affects 16% of women during the first year after the birth, and most women have depression during pregnancy. Anxiety plays a major role in the development of the infant’s emotional and the mother’s ability to endure the demands of parenting a newborn.
- Couples Counselling: Couples needing support around decisions about the future of their relationship, enhancing intimacy, and problem solving for unresolved conflict.
- Sex Therapy: Discussions around the causes of sexual dysfunction, low desire, mutual satisfaction in the sexual relationship for all types of adult relationships.
- Bipolar Disorder: Interpersonal social rhythms therapy for management of the sleep, social and biological rhythms of life that are disrupted during episodes of bipolar. Those with executive careers, health professionals and women in pregnancy will find Vivian’s approach useful in this area of clinical treatment.
To make an appointment try Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call Vision Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3088 5422.